Sunday, September 21, 2008

On Weddings

As time passes by, I find myself enjoying more and more the beauty and elegance of weddings. By attending weddings, I celebrate that which I was so lucky to find in 2005. I treat the wedding as a renewal of the vows that I made on that day. I relive all the fun, the glory and the silliness of that day.

Yesterday, a fried of ours from college married after 10 years of finding the one. Ten years is a long time to determine whether or not someone is for you. But with the state of affairs of life, ten years is a prudent measure the possibilities of life. Ten years is just enough to see whether that crumpled toothpaste container will set either partner off.

As the couple thanked their parents, tears flowed from my eyes. I never got to thank my father or mother during my wedding day. I wish I could have told them that I really appreciated their sacrifices. I wish I could have told them that I was OK. I wish I could have told them that they don’t have to worry. Just that.

The groom was styling in his suit. Beautiful gray cloth, cut just so to enhance the physique. The bride was radiant in her gown. Both a tribute to their calling to the arts and to the community. And the community supported them both on this day of celebration. It was a celebration of all the people who had ever mattered to the couple from childhood to now.

The best man was interesting in that like my wedding it turned out to be a woman. This time around, she was a Filipina immigrant who had met the groom while partying. Most of the readers know of Scarlet the feminine side of my personality. And so, I remarked to a gay friend of mine that the best woman was “Much more of a man than either of us, and much more of a woman than either of us.” She was fit to be immortalized in a sculpture, a painting or a song. A physical beauty within the parameters of an idealized body. A physique of power and self rather than of meekness. What a beauty!

And who can forget the sacrificial pig. Lechon! Lechon! Wherever Filipinos celebrate, there is Lechon! With the crackling skin and succulent meat, flavors abound in a pig on a spit.

1 comment:

Rona Fernandez said...

Wow, thanks Rhett! (I'm assuming you're talking about our wedding and not some other filipino-chinese lechon-feast!). It was great to have you and Michelle there. I loved your write up. And I'm sure your parents know how much you appreciated them on your wedding day, and how much you still do. Love, R.