Thursday, May 31, 2007

My grandfather's past

In the five days, I have been in a whirlwind. My interest in genealogy has cleared up a lot of relationships. When we attended parties, the comment "This is your cousin" would often be said. But we did not know why or how.

For my grandfather, there were so many Valinos that it was often difficult to thread. But, when you find someone truly knowledgeable, it is worth it.

That's why one of the greatest finds was my mother's best friend Auntie Pat or Pitang. Talk about knowing every single thing. She was the whirlwind that brought my research back to Andres Valino. The street that my grandfather lived on was named after Andres.

I now have 6 generations of Valinos on the map. I managed to trace it back to the time of the Spaniards and the Americans. I am beginning to think that I have it back to the time of 1880's.

My brother asked me why I got interested. The story is that I realized that everyone is dying and leaving this earth. Specially the generation of my mother. They were about to leave and along with them, the knowledge of who I am, who I was, and who I had been was going to go.

No comments: